Thursday, July 3, 2008

When I Whine By Red Foley

Today upon a bus, I saw A lovely maid with golden hair; I envied her - she seemed so gay -And oh, I wished I were so fair.When suddenly she rose to leave,I saw her hobble down the aisle,She had one foot and wore a crutch,But as she passed, a smile.Oh, God, forgive me when I whine;I have two feet - the world is mine.

And when I stopped to buy some sweets,The lad who served me had such charm;He seemed to radiate good cheer,His manner was so kind and warm.I said, "It's nice to deal with you,Such courtesy I seldom find."He turned and said, "Oh, thank you, sir!"And I saw that he was blind.Oh, God, forgive me when I whine;I have two eyes - the world is mine.

Then, when walking down the street,I saw a child with eyes of blue.He stood and watched the others play;It seemed he knew not what to do,I stopped a moment, then I said:"Why don't you join the others, dear?"He looked ahead without a word,And then I knew; He could not hear.Oh, God, forgive me when I whine;I have two ears - the world is mine.

With feet to take me where I'd go,With eyes to see the sunset's glow,With ears to hear what I should know:I'm blessed indeed, The world is mine;Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.

So the next time you are having an "its all about me day", or on a day when you are feeling sorry for yourself, or on a day that you catch yourself complaining about the things that truly are not issues, remember Mr. Foleys poem, "When I Whine".

No comments: